Ubuntu Netbook Remix
Here’s a comprehensive round up of all the cool hacks and mods for the Aspire One I could dig up from google and several Aspire One forums and blogs. With my thanks to the original authors of these tips and guides.
If you find any others, please share in the comments and we’ll endeavour to update the main article and maintain a comprehensive list of all the best Hacks and Mods for the fabulous Aspire One!
- Linpus Advanced Mode
- Minimise Color Banding in X11
- Quieter Fan
- Speed up SSD Access
- Flash Latest BIOS (note: be careful wih this one, as you’ll lose the lower brightness settings)
- Upgrade to OpenOffice 2.4
- Install F-Spot Photo Manager
- Upgrade to Firefox 3
- Flash Player 10RC2 Installation
- Upgrading Acer OpenJDK Runtime to Sun Java
- Upgrading Acer Mail to Thunderbird
- Changing Linpus Desktop Icons
- Ten More Tweaks for a new Acer Aspire One
- Deselecting Forced Acer Updates
- Switch between Acer and XFCE Desktops
- Install Internal Bluetooth
- Ram Upgrade
- Replace SSD with 1.8” PATA HD
- A Selection of Additional Disk Space Enhancements
- Touchscreen Hack
- USB Hub and TV Tuner (badly translated from Swedish by google)
Alternative Operating Systems
- One Linux (note: still vapourware at the time of writing)
- Arch Linux
- Ubuntu Netbook-remix
- Gentoo Linux
- Open SuSE
- Foresight Linux
- Mac OS X
- Windows Vista
Disclaimer: Although I’ve successfully used most of the easier hacks listed here on my Acer Aspire one, I’m not endorsing or guaranteeing the results of anything listed here. I’m quite happy to keep my warranty and to continue running Linpus Lite and not take a soldering iron to the motherboard. If you follow
destructions instructions in one of the hairier hacks here and fry, brick or otherwise break your Aspire One… that’s not my fault!!
Install XP from USB stick.
Ubuntu on Acer Aspire One (Google Translation)
Another MSI Wind booting Mac OS X video.