Ever since I read Jeremy Allison’s blog post about why we need to hear criticisms from people who dislikes Linux, I have been thinking a lot about what he said and how it hits very close to my own philosophy about life: In order to improve, you need to be open to criticisms; even from your enemies. One of the (many) things that most people dislike about Microsoft is that they don’t have any real communication between the developers and the users; so when you discover a bug or have opinions about a feature that can be improved or added, there is no real easy way to directly (or indirectly) communicate with a developer. However, recently they have showed some improvement by opening up blogs for IE8 beta and Windows 7, where product developers actively communicate with users. So why should we turn a blind eye towards Linux critics?
Here are some of the popular sites who are active critics of linux:
1) Why Linux Sucks: They are not really anti-linux, they just hate linux. :)
“This site’s purpose is to bring to light a lot of issues that Linux users run into that they shouldn’t run into: Issues that occur for both experienced and new Linux users. It also focuses somewhat on issues that severely need attention in order for the Linux Desktop (GNOME, KDE, etc) to become as much as it can be.
We are not against Linux – quite the contrary! – but we are over the misinformation, lies and downright idiocy that surrounds and impedes the progress of a lot of Linux’s Desktops, Applications and Subsystems.”
2) Linux Hater’s Blog: The subject of Allison’s blog post. This is a very active blog, with comments ranging from several hundred per post; most of the comments are back and forth arguments about who is right and who is wrong. The comments are rightfully named as “flames”. Most interesting of all, he has a shop selling anti-linux shirts and coffee cup. :)
Click for larger View
3) Promoting Linux: This is probably a parody site. But if you want some good laugh, this is the site for you :). Some quotes from the site:
“I tried Linux and it burned me. Badly. Now I use Windows because “it just works.”
“The freedom to write our own device drivers and recompile the kernel is no freedom at all.”
“WE kNoW WhO YOU aRe. WE ArE GoInG To kILL yOU!” — Linux Kernel Team
4) LinSux: A Forum devoted to linux suckiness. :). 92 members so far…
5) Jerry Lee Cooper: Ok this hasn’t been updated for while, but this blog, titled: “Gems from the net guru”, is full of posts on how linux sux and windows rocks. For total awesomeness (and good laughs), skip the first couple of posts and read the rests.
Ok this is all I could come up with. With all the windows hating sites out there, linux haters have a lot of catching up to do…
If you liked this article, please share it on del.icio.us, StumbleUpon or Digg. I’d appreciate it. :)