In the world of Linux bashers who argue that Linux is not quite ready for home users; compiz is one of the few things that really set Linux apart from other OS with major market share. It can give you good brownie points when you are trying to compare desktop effects with non-linux user friends, and it is truly exclusive to Linux OS. However, as it is with most other fancy desktop user interface (Aero for Vista, Aqua for OS X), the excitement quickly wears off after the first week or so; and those nifty little effects are not so awesome anymore. I don’t know about you, but square 3D workspace or wobbly windows does not add any level of productivity to my daily computer usage. If anything, it makes using computer much more distracting. Some effects are actually useful but most effects are not. It’s true, we can easily turn off any desktop effects we don’t like to use and some of these effects are highly customizable. Still I feel we need to make a list of “WTF, why would anyone want to use this?” effects with Compiz Fusion.
1) Dome sphere mode: Seriously what are we supposed to do with this? Bounce the sphere , while using pidgin? I thought the standard dome effect (albeit nice) was useless enough; but this one beats it fair and square. For more annoyance, try out the cylinder effect.
Video of “Sphere effect” in action:
2) Burning window while minimizing effect: This truly revolutionizes my desktop usage; when I am frustrated with some application; I can just burn the window – over and over again. This could be useful sometimes.
3) Flying Paper-plane window effect: This one actually folds your window in the form of a paper plane and then flies and minimizes to your panel. You have to see it to believe it.
4) Rain Effect: For a very successful dose of distraction use the rain effect. Even better; try watching a movie with rain effect and woobly window, you will never see movies the same way again. I promise you that.
5) Atlantis Plugin: Finally, last but not least, the atlantis plugin. If you want many many
sharks dolphins (looking for penguins?) swimming all over your screen in 3D; this my friend is the perfect plugin for you.
Joking aside, Compiz has some really nice features; if you havent tried it yet. You should really try it out. You won’t find this stuff in Mac or Vista. Enjoy and have a great weekend.
If you liked this article, please share it on del.icio.us, StumbleUpon or Digg. I’d appreciate it. :)