Zenwalk is a GNU/Linux operating system, designed to provide the following characteristics:
- Modern and user-friendly (latest stable software, selected applications)
- Fast (optimized for performance capabilities)
- Rational (one mainstream application for each task)
- Complete (full development/desktop/multimedia environment)
- Evolutionary (simple network package management tool – netpkg)
Zenwalk Linux (formerly Minislack) was originally a Slackware-based Linux distribution founded by Jean-Philippe Guillemin. Since its creation, the distribution has become very different from Slackware in most regards while still maintaining compatibility with its binary packages. Zenwalk aims to be a multi-purpose Linux distribution by focusing on Internet applications, multimedia and programming tools. Additionally, Zenwalk comes with many specialized tools, designed for beginner through advanced users as it offers system configuration via both graphical and command-line operations.
The Zenwalk Project aims to create a lightweight Linux operating system through the incorporation of the latest software available for a stable release (though using only one application per task on the release ISO image), optimization for a specific processor architecture to increase execution speed, and introduces a comprehensive package management system with dependency resolution.Linux Distros Reviewed Zenwalk